Barnstaple Swimming Club – Club Equity Policy
The Barnstaple Swimming Club is committed to the principles and practice of equal opportunities across all of it’s activities as advised/documented in th ASA/British Swimming Equity Policy Statement(available on the ASA website) Swimmers, teachers, coaches, officials and administrators will advocate our policies to ensure that all participation has equity at it’s core.
The Club will ensure that equality as stated in the Club rules is incorporated in all aspects of it’s activities and also recognizes and adopts the Sport of England definition of Sports Equity.
Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognizing inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about challenging the culture and structure of sport to ensure it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society whatever their age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality or socio-economic status.
The Club is committed to everyone having the right to enjoy their sport in an environment free from threat, discrimination, intimidation, harassment and abuse. The Club will deal with any incidence of discriminatory behaviour seriously, according to the Club disciplinary procedures.
Benefits of Sports Equity
• Opens sport to all sectors of the Community
• Attracts new members
• Positive public image
• More revenue
• More Potential Administrators, Leaders, Coaches, Participants
• Supports funding applications
• Attracts new Partnerships
Equal Opportunity in Swimming
“ Equal opportunity is about celebrating difference and diversity and as such providing a swimming structure that can respond to this in a proactive and positive manner”
The ASA and British Swimming is totally committed to the principles and practice of equal opportunities across all of it’s aquatic disciplines, both as an employer, provider and as facilitator of such practices by all it’s members. In our work with key partners such as the athletes, clubs, teachers, coaches, officials and administrators, we will advocate our policies make every effort to ensure that all participation has equity at it’s core.
Swimming is a “Sport for All”. It can and should be enjoyed also made accessible to all.
To Achieve this:-
a) The Club is committed to working towards ensuring that swimming is accessible to as many people as possible.
b) The Club recognizes the need to acknowledge the diversity of provision that is required to ensure that all people, regardless of their race, sex/gender, disability, age ,sexual orientation, social or economic background can access swimming and develop at a level that is appropriate to them.
c) The Cub recognizes that equal opportunity is about realizing that people are different and therefore need different provision.
d) The Club recognizes that it may need to consult outside the club boundaries in order to respond to diversity.
In addressing EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES the Club will respond to the issues of Equity by:-
a) Recognizing that the Club as an organization ie. The athletes, coaches, teachers, officials and administrators need to adopt and work flexibly in order to respond to the needs of a wide and diverse range of people.
b)Take positive action to increase the involvement from under represented groups in all aspects of our organisation, participation, coaching, teaching, officialdom etc.
In doing so the Club will support 4 key principles as being fundamental to ensuring that everyone can participate in our sport and the achievement of equal opportunity:
People have a right to participate in and access quality and appropriate experiences within swimming.
It is the responsibility of the Club- our teachers, coaches, officials, and administrators- to adapt provision to fit the needs of the many.
Wherever and whenever possible, all to access the same quality of provision, and if necessary to use positive action to ensure this.
Whatever we do as a Club to change or adopt provision, it must be of equal worth, challenging, relevant and in no way patronising.
Lines of Responsibility:
The Club will make every effort to become an organisation which values diversity and in order to achieve this we recognise that there must be clear lines of responsibility between all segments of the organisation ( eg; including job descriptions for each role)
The Club is committed to encouraging membership from all sectors of the community and to achieve this we will:
• Promote an open and honest culture which values diversity
• Communicate widely, ensuring that our messages can be understood and appreciated by all
• Positively encourage the involvement of all people regardless of their gender, race, disability, age and social background
• Work to redress the effects of discrimination
• Change attitudes and working practices to ensure that everyone can feel a valued member of the Association
Teachers and Coaches:
In our training and development of teachers and coaches we will make every effort to ensure that :
• We encourage and assist them to realise and reach their potential by receiving fair consideration in their training, and career development needs
• They establish and implement professional and ethical values and practice
• Promote and apply the principals and practices of equal opportunities
• Promote positive images of people with special needs
• Have a commitment to providing entitlement and access to all their professional activities
• Encourage high expectations and standards of achievement from all they teach
• Involve everyone in meaningful and appropriate activity to ensure a quality experience
• Help everyone to achieve their full potential
Officials and Administrators:
We will expect officials and administrators to:
• Adopt, promote and practice the values of the Club
• Ensure that participation can be enjoyed by all
• Provide meaningful and appropriate experiences, which recognise and value the diversity of the participants
• Actively encourage the participation and involvement of people from disadvantaged groups of the Community.
• Undertake Equity Training
Updated June 2011
Joan Squire (Honorary Secretary)
BARNSTAPLE SWIMMING CLUB